Whiteville to Charleston Day 5

The last day of my ride started early...at least earlier than the other days.  Part of the reason is I had gone to be about 8:00 p.m. the night before.  Why?  Well, I basically had no cell coverage...the absolute only text messages I could get to send was to my wife letting her know I was there, so with such poor reception trying to get on the internet, there really isn't much to do when you are camped by yourself in the middle of a National Forest, and by the looks of the sketchy pop-up camper I wasnt sure if I wanted to be up in case anyone showed up. (Not sure it would be the owners of the camper or the FBI looking for a couple of their "10 Most Wanted"...it was hard to tell by the looks of things around the camper.) But on my first night sleeping in a forest I was awake with every sound, trying to determine if it was a bird, a bear, bigfoot...or an FBI bust!
Well, going to bed so early I was awake about 4:00...much to early to get up and out when it doesn't get light until close to 7:00.  But when 7:00 came along I was up and packing so that as soon as breakfast (can you guess what I had?) was over I would be ready to hit the road.  I had 54 miles to go and I was a little anxious to get going.  

For the most part the day's ride was pretty uneventful.  The first part of the morning was very pleasant as I was riding on some peaceful back roads.  However, by mid-morning I was on roads that were far busier!  I was never worried from a safety standpoint, but it was anything but relaxing, which made my mid-morning break a welcomed relief.
The monotony of the day was broken as I neard Mount Pleasant...specifically, crossing the Wando River was such a site.  About the time the Wando River came along it was time for another break and my map showed a place just across the river.  However, I'm guessing it was the marina store because there was nothing else I saw.  Fortunately, there was a Lowes Food just a couple of miles later.  A cold water, a snack, and some time spent in one of their rocking chairs out front was awesome.
Shortly after leaving the relaxing rocking chair at Lowes I found myself passing through a semi-residential area.  And that is where my trip just about took a bad turn.  In hindsite, I broke the cardinal rule of cycling (or what shoudl be a cardinal rule of cycling)...we are not required to ride next to the white line, but are encouraged to ride as far right as we can do so safely.  Well, because of a line of traffic lining up behind me I was trying to ride right up next to the white line...and then it happened.  I encountered a wobble...a wobble where I sort of veered right and my tires fell off the shoulder.  Normally this is not such a bad thing, I have done it on purpose several time.  However, this time as my bike went to the right, my body weight was leaning left.  So, just as soon as my bike tires fell off the shoulder my weight caused the bike to want to go left and it tires started sliding on the shoulder.  I fully expected to crash...in fact, I was absolutely so certain of it that I was already bracing for the hitting the asphalt.  Somehow...either because of dumb luck or all of the prayers people have been lifting...my front tire grabbed the asphalt and jumped back on the road.  I can tell you that for the rest of the day the shoulder of the road had my full respect and attention!

As I rolled into Mount Pleasant it was time for lunch.  For the third straight day I was craving a Burger King Impossible Whopper (even though I typically do not eat fast food).  But, given that there is no Burger King in Mount Pleasant I had to settle on Pizza Hut...a medium veggie lovers pizza to be precise.  Yes, I ate the whole thing and yes, it powered me through the rest of the day.

After lunch I only had about 24 miles left.  Before heading over to Charleston, I rode out the Isle of Psalms Connector so I could ride across the Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island.  The first church I ever worked in was Sunrise Presbyterian Church on Sullivan's Island.
Once back into Mount Pleasant I worked my way to the Ravenel Bridge.  After a long week of cycling and a HOT Charleston day the climb up the Ravenel bridge (and yes, I will describe it as a climb, despite what it may appear) just about did me in.  I switched into my lowest gear and slowly pedaled my way up...even as I wilted with each pedal turn.  After the bridge it was a pleasant ride down to the Battery
As I pedaled down East Bay Street I began to recall all of the planning and dreaming of the past year.  It had been a great week...with plenty of ups and downs, excitement and frustrations.  And now, it was over.  At the Battery, after a quick selfie, it was time to stretch out in the shade and wait for Angela to come pick me up.  
And maybe...just maybe...we will find a Burger King and an Impossible Whopper on the way home!

Comments