What's in my Tool Bag?



Fall officially arrived on Monday, September 23.  Of course, here in North Carolina it took the weather several more weeks to catch up!  Now that I’ve had to trade my t-shirts and gym shorts for something a little more warmer while sitting around the house, I told someone the other day that I have one goal this fall…I want to camp in weather where I need to zip up my sleeping bag!  With a week of vacation coming up I’m hoping to get my chance.  When we were trying to decide what to do while away my wife…yes, my wife…said let’s go camping.  This is a big ting…she hasn’t camped since before our kids were born…and she is not quite as excited (yet) about the prospects of sleeping outdoors as I am.
  
So, with plans now settled (somewhat…we still have to figure out where we are going) it is time to start getting things ready.  I have a packing list that I will probably share next week.  It contains the typical stuff you see on camping packing list, but there is also a section that isn’t always covered and yet I believe it is indispensable when car camping…a tool bag.  So, what’s in my tool bag?

Hammer: I might make the argument that a hammer is the most important tool you can carry when camping.  In many State Parks, National Parks, and other campgrounds are likely to find designated tent pads, often made of small gravel type of fill.  Over time these become nearly rock hard…so, a hammer (and good stakes) are vital.  It is the first thing in my camping tool bag.
 Paracord: In my opinion, paracord is like the Swiss Army knife of camping.  OK, that’s a little silly, but paracord can be used for so many things.  I keep at least 50’ of 550 paracord in my camp tool kit.  It is great for a clothesline, an extra guy out line if needed, or to tie things together, hanging bags or food or other items.  It really has nearly endless uses…let your imagination run free here!
Loop of Paracord:  Sometimes the small things make a big difference.  In my camping tool bag I carry a short piece of paracord that is tied into a loop.  While a hammer may be the tool of choice when driving tent stakes into the ground…they don’t work so well when trying to get the tent stake OUT of the ground.  That’s where this loop of paracord comes into play…simply wrap it around the head of the tent stake and you typically have the leverage needed to pull that sucker right up! 
Screwdriver: This is actually an old screwdriver that I believe I have had since my college days…which may nearly qualify it as an antique.  The flat head tip has a small piece broken off and the shaft is slightly bent, both of which pretty much make it unusable.  So why do I carry it?  Well, there are times that tent stakes are really stuck, even when using the paracord loop mentioned above.  One way to get a little better leverage is to use the screwdriver, through the paracord loop, as a handle.  (If you don’t have, or don’t wish to carry a screwdriver, simply find a stick to use instead.)
Rope: While 550 paracord can probably handle anything I would need, I do carry a length of rope in my camping tool bag as well.  Not sure if I’ll ever need it, but if I do…I know it’s there!  I probably carry between 25 and 50 feet.

Zip Ties: I’m not sure where I got this idea from, but in the world of bicycle touring, one indispensable item to carry is zip ties…so, I pack some in my camping tool bag as well.  On a bicycle trip this summer one of my tent poles splintered when setting up my last night out…but thankfully I had some zip ties and I was able to “fix” it…at least for the night and it did great.

Duct Tape:  Maybe because I’m a good Southern boy, but no tool kit worth its salt would be missing duct tape…and my camping tool bag is no exception.  Duct tape can help slow leaks in air mattresses, join things together, hold things in place, patch a tent in an emergency, and so much more.  Again, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.  And, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  On that trip, mentioned above, where one of my tent poles splintered and I repaired it with a zip ties…I covered the zip ties with duct tape to make it smoother so my rain fly would not be damaged.  
 Knife: Knifes come in hand in lots of ways.  When by myself my knife serves as an all purpose knife…but with my wife with me I’ll probably pack some kitchen knifes for food prep…she’ll probably consider this a more sanitary way of doing things!  Other than food prep (if your wife is not with you) then knifes can be used to cut paracord, rope, duct tape, etc…  It can be used to sharpen sticks for hotdogs, marshmallows, or to fashion an emergency tent stake. 
Scissors: A knife can probably do about everything a pair of scissors do, but there are times when you want a little more control.  I do find cutting the ends off zip ties off much easier with scissors than a knife.  But they are small and easy to throw into the camping tool bag….so, in they go.

 Leatherman/Multitool: Maybe a little redundant, but I find a leatherman/multitool to be a good addition to my tool bag.  The things I used the most are the needle nose pliers, can opener (I’m too cheap to go by an inexpensive can opener for my camp kitchen kit!), and the screw drivers. 
Lantern Mantles: In many ways I’m old fashioned.  Despite being newer propane models available and even various battery-operated models, I absolutely love old Coleman lanterns…yes, the liquid fuel type where you have to pump up the air pressure in the fuel bottle.  (There is just something about the sound they make that makes a camping trip complete!)  The weak point in any gas/propane lantern are the mantles as they are prone to ripping and tearing during transport.  So, keeping a small stash of new mantles is vital.

 Extra Tent Stakes:  When car camping one of the things I always do is replace my “stock” tent stakes with sturdier stakes…the ones that look like nails.  And I always buy a few extra and have them in my tool bag…just in case!

 Bungie Cord:  Bungie cords are just one of those things that need to be included.  There are times when you need to secure something and often a bungie cord is just the thing for the job.

 Three-Prong Adapter:  Not sure that I will need this, but too many times in my life I have found myself in desperate need of one…when I left mine at home.  So, it is just too easy to pick one up and throw it in just in…just in case!

 Work Gloves: One of the things that goes in my camping tool bag is a pair of work gloves.  These become important when cutting/processing fire wood or moving firewood around the fire pit. 
Small broom/dustpan: While part of the reason you go camping is to experience the great outdoors, going in and out of your tent tends to bring some of the great outdoors indoors.  This is really simple to take care of…a small broom and dustpan will do the trick.  You may be camping…but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a little neat and clean!

Hatchet/axe: One of the things I need to get to add to my camping tool bag is a hatchet or axe.  (In the past I’ve simply borrowed them.)  In most campgrounds you are not allowed to bring your own fire wood, but you can often look for downed limbs to burn and/or purchase fire wood at (or near) the campsite.  Particularly if you purchase firewood, you will likely want to process it, cut it down into smaller pieces that will be easier to burn.

Rake:  Another thing I do not have, but hope to add, is a small rake.  This seems especially useful when heading out in the fall when leaves, pine straw, and pinecones can over the ground where you want to place your tent.  I’ve seen online some neat “camping” rakes that fold up…but I’ve also seen at some big box stores some small garden rakes that are only about 3 feet long.  May have to try getting one this week.

Well, just like so many other things related to camping and traveling, my camping tool bag is a work in progress.  Don’t think you have to have everything right now…though there are some key essentials you probably do need...and you will certainly be adding to it.  I know every time I go camping something new tends to get added to my camping tool bag.

See you soon!

-          PJ

Comments