Whiteville to Charleston Day 3

At one point I thought about naming today's ride "Biking for Bibles...baptism edition".  But a more apt name may be frustration and disappointment.

The day started great...not so cold and overcast, but the forecast I was looking at for my area only showed a possibility of rain for a small part of the day. This was comforting as I enjoyed my typical bicycle touring breakfast...bagel, coffee, and homemade instant oatmeal. 
After getting everything packed and loaded on to my bike it was tume to hit the road. In store was a 66 mile ride to the Bucksport Marina and campground. Heading out my legs felt really good...much better than expected! I was pleased to find some bike paths in a few areas and some wide shoulders in the rest of the areas...both of which make riding more comfortable. One of the early highlights was crossing into South Carolina...my only state boarder crossing for the trip.
As I crossed I to South Carolina it began to sprinkle rain ever so gently. Even though it was rather chilly, the gentle sprinkle was not a problem. During this time my friend Doug was following me and checking in on me: he would drive by, pull into a parking lot until I rode by...and then repeat. I will say I gave him a scare. He rode by me and pulled into a church parking lot until I went by. He waited a few mi utes and then pulled out to drive past me lime he had done...only he came up to traffic at a standstill...in our lane. All he could imagine is that I been knocked off my bike. I was a ways up complaining about construction zones. He was SO relieved when we started moving and was finally able to see my blinking light, yellow vest, and safety triangle on my bike.

Sometime after that...almost without notice...the rain became more steady. My plan was to pull over to seek shelter it it got to bad. While it was steady, it wasn't bad. Of course, everytime a big truck passed me...which was often...I would get doused by their spray. But I kept plugging along. And then I realized how completely soaked I was...my pants and socks were absolutely soaked through. My jacket had long quit repelling water. My sunglasses and mirror was so covered with water it was somewhat difficult to see. That is when I realized that it was raining hard...it was cold...and the head wind was pretty decent.

It was not the most enjoyable part of the ride.  Add to that that I was overdue for a break and I was hungry. I knew thatmy turn had to be close and that there was a Burger King...and I was wanting an impossible whopper, fries, and coke! But the miles kept passing with no turn...or Burger King...in site. That is when I saw a Bistro on my right and so I pulled in to take shelter under cover and get a snack. Doug pulled in right behind me. 

During this break I checked my map...1/2 mile from my turn...and an impossible whopper! So off I went. So, after a 1/2 mile in the pouring cold rain there it was!only it was a Wendy's...no problem, I'll get a hot baked potato and the warmth of their dinning room. Ugh...problem. Dinning room closed...take out only. Doug drove across the street and fou d a grill open. By this time I am soaked and cold and shivering lime crazy.
Folks...I can't say enough about the staff at Salt Water Grill on Highway 57at Highway 22. They were welcoming, accommodating, and kept my coffee cup full! 
After talking to Angela and Doug, Imade the difficult decision to abandon TODAY'S ride! The weather was so bad and the forecast was not promising. So after lunch Doug graciously loaded upmy stuff and drove me to the Bucksport Marina and Campground. The camp manager here has been tremendous! She is dring all of my wet clothes, showed me a covered area to lock my bicycle,  and told me I could used the pavilion restaurant/bar area to cook and eat.
Honestly...it is interesting what emotions I have right now. Ik ow it was the right decision...even though now the rain has stopped. But that doesn't change the emotions. I don't say that looking for sympathy or encouragement...just sharing what I feel. I don't like starting something and not finishing it...I don't like quitting...I don't like failing. Even the right decision can be difficult to swallow.

But dor now, I will sit here and enjoy myview...a beautiful view..knowing that tomorrow is a new day and the weather should be better!

Comments