Whiteville to Charleston Day 2

As expected, I didn't sleep very well last night. But typically I don't sleep well the first night in a tent...whether it is my little two man tent I use for bicycle touring or my larger tent with plenty of space to stane and walk sround. I do carry ear plugs because sometimes the sounds of all the animals...while beautiful...can sometimes keep me awake. But last night Lake Waccamaw State Park was absolutely silent. And while it was rather cold (ish) I was plenty warm.

But when my alarm went off...it sure was hard crawling out of that warm sleeping bag! But once I drug myself out some hot coffee, a bagle, and some homemafe instant oatmeal warmed me up nicely!
We got a little later start than planned...neither Doug or I was moving very quickly. But we finally rolled out of camp around 9:15. Our first stop was going to be Bolton...and when we got there the day to (actually the trip) took a pretty drastic turn. Doug (my friend riding with me) was struggling a ggid bit. He was experiencing issues from some injuries from a bicycle crash years ago. So, in Bolton he asked if my wife, Angela, could pick hom up. He would then drive down and meet me at the campground. So in Bolton we parted ways...at least from a cycling standpoint. 

Overall it was a pretty uneventful day. Much of the 48 miles I rode solo was Wildlife lamds/forests...not a whole lot to look at. For the most part the roads had good shoulders and traffic was never an issue. 

The only bad thing about the ride was that I waited too long to eat lunch. I had planned on soup...because I was cold much of the morning. I kept thing I would pass a poo ark or something with picnic tables where I could cook my soup and eat. But (and don't tell my wife this) I was wrong! Finally, when it was nearly 2:00 I turned on to Holden Beach Hoghway and teo buildings down on the right was Fair Have Baptist Church. It is a pretty little white, wood framed church...with a very nice picnic table under a pavilion.  I'm guessing someone stole, or is repainting, the sign that welcomes weary bicycle travelers to come sit a spell and eat lunch...because I never saw one...though I did sit a soell and ate lunch.
For me, the hardest part of any bike touring day is the last several miles. You know you are close and you mind begins to play tricks on you and your legs get heavier and the miles get longer.  But I made it...and Doug was their waiting with all his stuff already set up.

Now, before I can sot and relax after a long day in the saddle, I have to set up my tent and get everything resdy...then I can relax.
After an awesome hot shower I had an enjoyable dinner of spaghetti and sauce...which I had dehydrated last week.

Hopefully I will dleep better tonight...and typically I do. Tomorrow is the longest day of the week with something like 66 miles on tap. 

So...goodnight everyone! 



Comments