Bike Touring Kitchen


PJ Outdoors
Cooking on the Road

One of the things that I pretty well insist on doing a rather regular basis is…eating!  As I prepare for my upcoming bicycle trip from Whiteville to Charleston some folks have asked me how in the world I will keep up with my eating habit during the ride.  Now, I could pull out my map on my phone that has restaurants along the way marked and tell them that I will simply eat out.  While I do have them marked on route map on my phone, this is really information I carry as a “just in case”.  I mean…eating out can get expensive.  Plus, after spending all day pedaling a bicycle who in the world would want my dirty, smelly self sitting near them while they try to eat?  Heck, I may not even want to sit near my self!

So, the plan is to cook.  Every day.  Each meal.  I’ll share what I plan to cook in another post as the ride gets closer.  Today I just want to share how cooking is possible.  I do enjoy cooking.  Especially when I have a spacious and well-stocked kitchen.  On a bicycle trip I’ll actually have neither.

My cookware consists of four pieces.  I have a 24-oz Stanley Adventure pot and a mug…both Walmart specials, but quite handy.  The Stanley pot is great when I just want to boil water for coffee, oatmeal, or some other instant type of food.  The Walmart stainless steel mug is typically used for coffee or other such things…though I have a new cup/mug I’ll share later.  My “real” cook set is one I picked up from REI…but for the life of me I can’t remember what brand it is.  It is a pretty simple backpacking/camping set…it comes with a cook pot and a frying pan; and the frying pan also serves as a lit to the pot.


New to my touring kitchen is the Sea to Summit X-Set…a plate, bowl, and a mug.  These are made from a food grade flexible silicone.  There are two really neat things I like about this set.  First, all three pieces collapse and next into each other; this is really great because not only are they light but they take up only a small amount of space…this is really important when on a bicycle tour.  The other thing I like is that the bottom of both the plate and bowl have a rigid food-grade nylon base that doubles as a cutting board!  Guess I’ll have to find something to cook one night that requires chopping!



My “utensil drawer” is really quite skimpy.  Actually…embarrassingly skimpy.  My entire “utensil drawer” consists of three items: a spatula, a spork, and a knife.  The spatula pretty much has one purpose…flipping things.  But honestly, I’m thinking that I may have to break the rules and turn it around and use the handle for stirring things.  (I guess should be ok…just another type of multi-tasking!)  I suspect most of you are familiar with a spork…a wonderfully terrible utensil that is supposed to be a both a spoon and a fork.  I doesn’t do either very well.  But, I would say that it serves it’s purpose just fine.  Lastly, is my knife.  For those of you who are germ-a-phobes you may want to skip to the next paragraph.  You see, this knife is not exclusively my “kitchen” knife.  Nope…it is a multi-tasking powerhouse.  Need a rope cut?  Here…use my knife.  Need to whittle a stick to cook your hotdog?  Here…use my knife.  Need to cut your apple?  Well…I suspect you know where this is going.  But, I will say.  So far I haven’t gotten sick.  I do rinse it off the best I can and then figure I’m really just building up my immune system!

Another new addition to my kitchen…and I am really so excited about this…is my “spice cabinet”.  Now, perhaps you have seen it.  Walgreens and other drug stores sell it…but they call it a pill dispenser.  But it works great as a spice holder.  Each section screws to the bottom of another section…perfect for storing and carrying spices!

If you didn’t know this by now I’ll just go ahead and say it…I like things that are free or cheap!  (As long as they do their job, of course.)  Two things I carry with me that make a little easier…and maybe a little nicer are a couple of cozies.  One is flat, like an envelope and the other is more like a mug (hmmm?).  Some of the meals I usually pack are foods that I have dehydrated.  Once dehydrated I put them into a quart sized Ziplock freezer bag.  When it is time to prepare this meal, hot water is poured into the Ziplock bag, which is then sealed and placed into the envelope sized cozy until it is hot and ready to eat.  The other one, that I said was shaped like a mug…well, when I make my coffee in the morning or perhaps some soup for dinner, I use my mug.  Can you guess where the mug then goes?  Yep, into the mug shaped cozy so it will stay nice and warm.  Both of these were virtually free as I made them from some reflectix I had bought to insulate my cooler for camping. 

OH, I almost forgot my stove.  I have the brs 3000T.  That sounds really fancy…but it is basically just a small, lightweight, inexpensive backpacking stove.  Works great…and at $15 it is easy on the wallet!



Well…that is my bicycle touring kitchen.  Not very fancy.  Not well stocked.  But it will do the job just fine and keep me nourished along my 5-day/4-night 265-mile ride from Whiteville, NC to Charleston, SC!  OK, so all this talk about kitchen and cooking is making me hungry…time to go get something eat!

See you soon!

-          PJ 




Comments