Where It All Began!



I always find it interesting how our minds work.  Specifically, I find it interesting how memories come to us.  You know, there are times when you can just be sitting there, and memories of some distant time comes into your mind.  Or, you see someone or something and all of a sudden, a flood of memories that you thought had long gone come rolling back in.  On a recent trip to Banner Elk I began to recall memories that I had not recalled for some time.

For as long as I can remember, bicycles have been a part of my life.  While I don’t remember my first bike, I do remember that just an hour before we went and bought it, I rode a bike (my sister’s bike) for the first time without training wheels.  Such a simple joy!  At that point in life m bicycle riding was limited to the one street we lived on…a cul-de-sac that had a long hill at the end.  When you are young you don’t really think too much about asphalt, road rash, and such things…which is a good thing.  I can’t remember how many times me and the asphalt of King David Drive got acquainted…but I’m glad those days are long gone!

In middle and junior high bikes were still a major part of my life.  My friends and I would take parts off of this bike and that bike and create bikes that actually worked.  One of the things we loved to do was built ramps and jump things.  Our favorite thing to jump was those plastic pots that plants come in.  There were several advantages to jumping these types of flowerpots.  For one thing, they were plentiful and easy to come by.  But second, on those not so rare occasions that we miss judged our speed and angle so that we came up short on our attempts…plastic flowerpots crush…which is so much better than a crash.

When I was in college, I bought my first bicycle…at the first bicycle that I paid for myself.  While it was a department store bike, I made a few modifications and upgrades to it and it served me well in the several biathlons I participated in while in college.  But this bike did just about get me in trouble.  You see, I bought this bike with a credit card…but I never told my parents that I had a credit card.  When I forgot that little fact and rode it down to Williams Bryce Stadium to tailgate with my parents my mom asked a question I had hoped she wouldn’t…“Whose bike is that?”  Well, after a brief moment I answered her truthfully, “It belongs to a guy who lives in my dorm.”  (OK, it was mostly truthful.)

One of the realities of life is that as we grow some of the things we enjoyed when we were younger tend to fade…we outgrow them or other interests come along.  And so, I began to drift away from bicycles.  And as hard as it is to believe, I had some years I don’t believe I had a single bike I could ride.  But then, in January of 2005 we moved to the mountains of North Carolina…to Banner Elk to be exact.  Life was good.  A year later I was 41 years old, had been married for 14 years, had two children and had grown quite comfortable with my sedentary life.  There was no life changing event, no scolding by my doctor at my annual physical (probably because I did get my annual physical), and I didn’t give out of breath from simply walking around the yard.  (Well, at least no more so than anyone else…we did live in the mountains and “them there hills” were pretty serious.)  But it was at this point in life that I knew I needed to make a change…my current lifestyle was simply not sustainable.


It was at this point that I approached Doug Owen, who was the cycling coach at Lees-McRae College.  In the above photo Doug is on the far left…you might think he kind of looks like Santa Clause, but he doesn’t.  He actually looks like a pirate!  There were two things he did that I believe is fair to say changed my life.  First, he directed me to Hampton Trails Bicycle shop in Elizabethton, TN.  That is where I bought my first bike…a Haro Mountain bike with mechanical disc brakes.
My first mountain bike
Second, Doug directed me to the Mill Pond…and more specifically, the gravel road (pictured above) that went from the Mill Pond dam down to the water treatment plant.  The total distance was from one point to the other was one mile.  

Mill Pond gravel road
Several days a week, for over a month, I rode 1-mile down to the water treatment plant and then 1-mile back.  Yea, a total trip of 2-miles doesn’t sound like much, but I don’t mind telling you that I thought it would kill me.  You see, the ride to the water treatment plant was easy…it was all downhill.  That’s the good news…but the bad news is I had to turn around and ride back up that hill.  Pedaling that bike up that hill caused my legs to burn, my lungs to just about burst, and my heart to just about beat out of my chest.  But after about a month…I was able to do this ride twice!  Over time that 2-mile ride turned into 4-miles which in turn turned into longer and longer rides.

I also remember the day that Doug called and invited me to go on a road ride.  Riding his son’s bike he took me over Hickory Nut Gap and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I don’t remember how long a ride it was…but it doesn’t matter.  I was hooked.  It wasn’t too long after that I bought y second bike…an aluminum, 2007 Masi Vincere that I still ride today.  I’m not sure I ever told Doug, but my wife pretty much put her foot down and wouldn’t let me try a new type of cycling with Doug…it was too expensive because it seemed to always lead me back to the bike shop.  And I never came home empty handed.

Since that first trip down the Mill Pond gravel road I have logged quite a few miles…and have continued to acquire more bikes (pictured below).  I have enjoyed a lot of different types of cycling…mountain biking, road biking, gravel riding, and most recently I am into bicycle touring.  All of these used different bikes…but they all share the simple joy of two legs turning two pedals which then turn two wheels. 

Over the years Doug has been a great coach and mentor in m cycling.  But more importantly, he has become a great friend.  And one of the most important lessons he taught me, I want to pass on to you.   Just start!  It really doesn’t matter how far or short you ride…or how fast or slow.  What matters is that you get out and ride.  (You may not be into bicycles, but whatever it is you want to do…just start!)  I encourage you go out and find your own Mill Pond Road and start a journey that will last a lifetime!  

See You soon!

-          PJ


Just for fun I’m including picture of my bicycle stable…including my gravel bike that got stolen last Thanksgiving.  

Current mountain bike

Road bike

Current gravel and all around bike

Fuji Touring bike

My stolen, homemade gravel bike...I still miss it!

Comments