C&O Canal 2019...Day 3: McCoys Ferry Campground to Harpers Ferry

Ride Stats:
Day: 3 of 5
Ride Time: 4:47:45
Daily Distance: 51.7
Total Distance: 135.3
Daily Elevation: 1,746
Total Elevation: 4,478

Trip Journal:

Well, today was a great day! It was scheduled to be our longest ride...right at 50 miles. Coming into this trip the longest ride these boys had done was 30 miles. Monday was 45...and so we topped that. The recurring theme from yesterday (rather expectedly) was sore butts! Thankfully, most everyone was feeling better today. The weather was overcast and the high was 81...perfect for a long hard day.

The tougest part of the day may have been keeping these kid's minds focused. Too often they would look at the map, or do the math in their heads whenever we would pass a mile marker, and be overwhelmed by the distance remaining. But we had decided that we would break about every 45 minutes rather than every hour we had been aiming for. We made sure they all had food and water and that every time we would stop they ate something and drank water.

The trail was absolutely stunning today. Lots of varied scenery to look at. I was a little surprised (though, I should have been better prepared) by the detour in Williamsport. But we managed to get everyone through with no problems.

I guess everyday brings some type of obstacle. With about 20 miles to go we received word that one of the kids had crashed. I was sent back to check things out. The end group was about a mile back. I was thankful (I guess) that he had not actually crashed, but has basically bonked. He had been drinking water, but had not eaten anything since lunch...which had been nearly two hours earlier. We gave him some food and water and he and I slowly made our way to the rest of the group...where we rested him more and pumped more food into him. He rode pretty well the rest of the way.

Several miles before we were picked by the van and taken to Harpers Ferry Hostel the trail surface changed...and I DID NOT LIKE IT! I guess it may be okay in the long run, but right not the first mile or so of it is really soft. I thought I was about to crash...not really sure how I didn't (but really glad I didn't)!

One of the enjoyable things that has turned into a tradition during this ride is a swim in the Potomac River each afternoon following our ride. I kind of missed that today. But I'll tell you what...this here bald headed preacher is giving praise to God for a hot shower and indoor (flushing) toilets!







Comments