C&O Canal 2019...Day 1: Cumberland to Little Orleans

Ride Stats:
Day: 1 of 5
Ride Time: 4:55:04
Daily Distance: 53.5
Total Distance: 53.5
Daily Elevation: 1,900
Total Elevation: 1,900

Trip Journal:
Today our group of 10 riders hit the trail, bound for Washington, DC. Our plan was to ride 45 miles to Little Orleans where we would camp for the night.

The morning was great! Everyone was feeling good and the weather was a bit cooler. I had prepared some off line maps with our planned stops so we could catch up with the van for any need supplies. But I learned quickly that relying on a cell phone for anything related to navigating the C&O Towpath was and exercise in frustration.

My loaded bike, around 89-85 pounds, handled great...that is, if I forget the bump that dislodged both of my rear panniers!

We had planned to eat lunch in Old Town...but an early start, and a good pace, meant we made it there at about 10:00...a little too early for lunch. After a good break we mounted up, and as the lead rider, I was told that our plans were to meet the van just after the Paw Paw tunnel.

After a short break and some photos at the tunnel entrance we had a nicle walk through the tunnel. Once on the other side we had our first obstacle...someone had a flat tire! One of the older youth gave up his bike and he and I stayed behind and patched the tube...the rest of the group was supposed to ride the .6 mile to our lunch meeting spot. This is where other obstacles began to hit us.

So, the group that went on discovered that it wasn't. 6 of a mile...in fact, our meeting spot was before the tunnel. The next place where there was access for the van to meet them was at Fifteenmile Creek campground and boat ramp (our campsite for the night)...some 15+ miles ahead. But they pressed on...like troopers...and made it with no real difficulties.

As for me and the youth who helped fix the flat...well, our day was just starting. The flat was fixed in no time...so we decided we would ride hard and try to catch the group. After some furious pedaling we realized the .6 of a mile estimate was wrong...the meeting place must be further ahead. So we kept going. After about 5 miles we stopped...and looking at a map we "realized" we had passed them. I tried to send them a text...no go. Tried to raise them on the radio...no luck. So, we headed back. Well, to make a long story slightly shorter, we made it all the way back to the Paw Paw tunnel without seeing them. So, I decided we would just head to the campsite in Little Orleans. I kept sharing my food (I actually had a lot since I'm riding fully loaded) with the young man with me. We were both running low on water...so coming up to a couple of the hiker/biker campsites only to discover the pump handles removed was not good for either of us. When we found one with a handle, I filled my bottles but my friend decided the water didn't meet his standards. Now, of course, I like my water clear...not orangeish like what was in my bottle...but at the time I didn't care...I really needed water. Anyway, we walked some and we rode some...tring not to bonk and crash. Then, some riders passed from the other direction and told us they just saw a black bear. Well, we kept going...but we did talk loudly and sang trying to alert the bear. And we never saw a bear...guess my singing was pretty bad! 

Finally we made it to camp...and our lunch...about 3:30 or 4:00...to cheers from the group. As leaders we have better plans now if we were to get separated again...and we made better plans on where to meet the van.

After setting up our tents we all went swimming in the Potomac River...swimming never felt so good!
It wasn't a perfect day...but it was a good day. We leaned and we adapted as needed. Which is what this trip is all about!





Comments