Whiteville to Charleston Day 4

You know, they say you should be careful what you ask for. And if you didn't know...it is true!  Today was the complete opposite of yesterday, and by the time I made it to my campsite I felt like the day had beat me up!

Now, to back up, it was a beautiful...but a little over cast...kind of morning. I began the day with my standard breakfast of bagel, oatmeal, and coffee. Just to clarify,  I did bring some grits with the intention of having a little variety.  But I am Presbyterian...so why change?!
I like to think I get up early (I do at home), get ready and hit the road. But truth be told...I'm rushing to get rolling by 9:00 a.m.  A good hour after what I would prefer. But then again...this is a bike tour, so why rush? And, true to fashion, right about 9:00 I was climbing on the bike.
Every day of bike touring is different. Temperature, wind, mood, traffic...all of these things, and more, make each day unique. Today I was really trying to manage my food and water intake. I find it easy to just keep pedaling and not take breaks. The problem is, when I don't eat and drink enough I tend to get a headache...not to mention my energy bottoms out. In a perfect world I like to stop about every hour to an hour and a half. Today I did much better. When I hit the 29 mile mark I was starting to drag a bit and needed a break...and I treated myself to a coke and some chips. Maybe not the food of champions but it sure hit the spot!
I was trying to save lunch for the Andrews, SC area...don't ask me why because I don't have a good reason. The problem is, I was planning on soup (even though it wasn't soup weather, but I wanted to lighten my load a bit) so I needed a table or something. Well, I didn't find a table but I did find a "something". Behind the library in Andrews is a good size pavilion...and it worked perfectly. Plus...I didn't get arrested for trespassing! 
Remember how I said today was the complete opposite of yesterday?  Well, while I began the day in long pants and a jacket...over the course of the first two hours I worked my way down to shorts and a short sleeve shirt. (Except for my vest...which is bright yellow...which I always wear for visibility.) But somewhere between Andrews and Jamestown...the sun began to really wear on me. I was starting to drag and wilt. With about 10 miles to go for the day I came across a Dollar General...and I bought 5 bottles of water! 2 1/2 were to fill my bottles up (I was just about empty) and 2 are to get me through the first part of the morning. There is no water where I'm camping and I'm not sure how far I'll have to ride in the morning before I can find water.

Those last 10 miles were difficult...physically and mentally. I was ready to get off the bike. I was hot. But I was unsure how much further I had to go. And then I finally saw it...FS-158! A gravel road never looked so good. If you don't like the name FS-158, Google Maps also shos it as "Hell Hole Road". Not sure why...not sure I want to know why. 
Tonight is a new experience for me. I am not in a campground...I am simply camping in the Francis Marion National Forest. The Forest Service people were great to work with...when I contacted them one guy identified a place near my route where I could camp and the lady who issues the permits was amazing! While I expexted to have the place to myself...there was an old pop-up camper here and some stuff. Still waiting to see if anyone shows up to stay in it. 
Anyway, I found me a spot near the back of this cleared spot I am camping in and got my stuff all set up. It should be an early evening...I still got 50 something miles to go before reahing my destination!

Oh, I don't typically eat fastfood...but did I mention that I have been craving a Burger King Impossible Whopper for 2 WHOLE DAYS?

Comments