Bicycle Safety



When talking with people about my bicycle trips, many ask about how I stay safe while riding.  Now, when they ask me that question, I know what they mean…but I also know that there are actually several ways I can answer.

For instance, in a very real sense I could talk about reaching my destination safely.  You know, getting to the correct place.  While it may not be necessary to have every single detail of the trip planned out, it is important…at least for me…to know what my destination is and the route I am going to take.  So, I have a map of my route, detailing every turn.  In fact…I have several digital versions of it.

I could also talk about food.  I mean, one secret to a successful bicycle tour is properly fueling your body so you can keep those pedals turning.  Good nutrition…and plenty of calories…is vital.  Don’t worry…I have my meals and snacks already planned.  (But I’ll share those another time.)

But while those may be truthful ways to answer the question about safety, I know that’s not what is meant.   The big concern people have when I tell them about an upcoming tour…and honestly, it is a concern that I agree with…is how to stay safe while sharing the road with cars and trucks.  Bicycles and automobiles can successfully, and safely, share the road…but everyone needs to do their part and pay attention.  So, we each must do our part.

I came up with what I thought was a great plan…a plan that would keep me safe.  Since my bike has a rear rack, I figured I would just ask my wife to ride with me…sitting on the rack, backwards, so she could see any approaching car or truck.  When she spotted one, all she would need to do is gently elbow me in the side.  I know this plan would have worked…because when I suggested it she elbowed me in the side.  But we might need to work on her understanding of “gentle”!

OK, so how do I plan to stay safe on the road?  There are several steps I take to increase my visibility and my awareness of traffic and other things going on around me.

First, I wear a helmet.  In fact, I am one of those who obsesses over helmets.  I realize that a helmet is not going to protect my noggin in every instance…but for those it was designed to help with it will prove invaluable.  In fact, the day I hit a dog while on a downhill section, the damage to my helmet clearly demonstrated that it helped save me from serious injuries. 


Second, I attach a yellow safety triangle on the back of my rack/panniers.  It doesn’t blink, spin, or make any type of noise…but it is another means to help motorists see me.  Anything helps!


Third, I wear a “Take A Look” mirror.  This little device, which attaches to my sunglasses, allows me to see behind me.  In particular, it allow me to see cars and trucks as they approach.  Admittedly, I resisted using any type of mirror for years…thinking that “real cyclists” don’t use mirrors.  But when I started bicycle touring I got a mirror
 
Fourth, I have a front facing, blinking white light that is visible during daylight.  Now, this front facing light will not do anything for cars approaching me from behind, but one danger cyclist face is cars turning in front of us.  This light is designed to help get their attention.
 

Fifth, I try and wear light/bright clothes.  The problem with riding in the winter is that my cold weather riding jacket is black.  But don’t fear, I also have a bright colored cycling vest which I wear over my dark jacket on those cold days.


And sixth, I have “eyes” behind me.  No, it’s not my wife riding backwards on my rear rack.  (And I wouldn’t bring that subject up…if I were you…unless you like the feel of a quick elbow in your rib cage!)  No, these “eyes” are a new piece of gear from Garmin…the Garmin Varia.RTL510 bundle.  The Varia bundle is two safety features in one.  The first one is a rear facing, red blinking light.  As cars approach from the rear the flashing red light helps (along with the safety triangle) capture their attention so they can safely pass.  But the second, and more important, feature of the Varia is that it is a radar.  This little radar is paired with a receive on my handlebars.  Whenever a car, approaching from behind, gets within 150 yards, my handlebar unit blinks red and emits a beeping sound.  (This sounds much better than an elbow in the side!)  This radar unit, along with my mirror, helps me keep an awareness of what is going on behind me.


Lastly, just in case I crash, pass out, or have some other emergency, I always wear a Road ID...a bracelet that has my name, emergency contact information, and clearly says I have no medical issues or allergies.
In reality, there isn’t anything that will guarantee my safety.  But there are steps that a bicycle tourist, or any cyclist, can take to increase both visibility and awareness.  I feel that the things I have shared put me in a pretty good position…but I am continually on the look out for additional, or alternative, ways of staying safe out on the road.  

Let’s watch out for one another!

See you soon!

-          PJ 

Comments