Comfort in a Tent?


Camping is not for everyone…and tent camping certainly for everyone.  Many people I’ve talked too who do not enjoy camping just don’t like the idea of “roughing” it.  I had a theology professor in graduate school whose idea of roughing it meant a hotel where you had to get your own ice!  While my wife and I did camp when we were first married, she is not quite as excited about camping as I am.  When I raised the possibility of her camping with me she had four demands that would need to be met. 

First, was food…she does have several food allergies and restrictions, but with planning and our cooking equipment I can confidently assure her those needs can be met camping just as well as at home.

Second, she needed a comfortable place to sit.  But after trying several different folding camping chairs at the store, we found one that fit the bill.

Third, was a comfortable place to sleep.  Well, when we visit our daughter and son-in-law we have air mattresses that we take.  They are comfortable and provide us a comfortable night’s rest.  These can do the same in a tent.

Fourth, she needs air conditioning.  So…

OK, I was able to meet three out of four of her demands while tent camping.  Not too bad in my opinion.  Again, in this post I am talking about car camping.  Car camping differs quite a lot from how I camp when I bicycle touring.  On tour I camp similar to a backpacker…a small tent, a fairly thin inflatable sleeping pad, and a sleeping bag.  On tour both bulk and weight are premiums.  When car camping you are able to drive right up to your campsite and pretty much carry all the gear you would like.  Neither bulk nor weight is an issue when car camping.  One thing I would say to those who are on the fence about going camping, even tent camping…it does not have to be roughing it.

Tents come in various sizes and styles.  You can by canvass tents or nylon tents…dome tents, A-frame tents, or cabin tents to name a few.  Tents range in sizes from 1-person tents on up to what seems to be a small condo that claims to sleep 12 or more people.  Tent style and size vary about as much as the price tag that can be found on tents.  Our tent is a Coleman 6-person tent.  This is a great tent…though I would suggest it would be comfortable for four, maybe five people, but is perfect for my wife and I and how we plan to camp.


How do we camp?  With some comfort.  Our beds are self-inflating air mattresses…one of those double chamber ones.  These are actually quite comfortable.  They keep you up off the ground, are high enough so they are easy to get in and out of, and actually offer a good bit of comfort…perhaps not memory foam comfortable, but pretty dog-gone comfortable when away from home.  Our air mattress are self-inflating…you simply need an electrical source.  The campsites I usually get have electricity.  But if your campsite does not have electricity, another option would be a power inverter…one of those boxes that you plug into your car’s cigarette lighter that allow you to plug in items from home.  Of course, you could also get an air mattress that is not self-inflating (but require a separate pump).  These could be inflated with a manual pump or a pump that runs off of batteries.  There are several options available. 


The next step in providing “a comfortable place to sleep” for my wife is the bedding.  There are at least two options here…perhaps more, but I’m not sure what the others would be.  The first option for bedding would be a sleeping bag.  A sleeping bag could simply be placed on top of the air mattress.  A sleeping bag, depending on its temperature rating (which I may write a post on in the coming weeks), will keep you plenty warm.  It also offers the convenience of not having to make your bed every morning…simply get out of your sleeping bag and just zip it back up.  That’s it…your bed is made and will be ready when bedtime comes around again. 


The second option for bedding would be sheets and blankets…just like you do at home.  Air mattresses generally come in various sizes very much like mattress on our beds at home.  So, before heading out on a camping trip raid your linen closet and et the size sheets (fitted and flat) that will fit your air mattress.  (Here is a bit of advice: I would suggest getting your wife’s permission…or wait to get them when she is out of the house!)  Depending on the time of you that you will be camping be sure to have a blanket or two.  Remember, in a tent the walls do not offer very much insulation!  But, with proper planning, sheets and blankets will keep you nice and toasty.  Just don’t forget to make up the bed in the morning when you get up!  


On my most recent car camping trip I actually did both.  Most nights I slept under the covers, but it rained a couple of nights and the temperatures got a little cool.  On those nights I found it more comfortable in my sleeping bag.  Options…I really like having options!


One other thing that adds a bit of comfort to a tent…a little touch for your home away from home…is a bedside table for all of your indispensable items that you need to keep close at hand.  Typically, when at home, I keep most of my camping gear in large plastic tubs.  I have one tub I keep my kitchen and cooking items in.  There I another tub that has my “bedroom’ stuff…those items that will go inside the tent.  The great thing is, while the kitchen tub is usually utilized throughout the camping trip, the bedroom tub is only needed to get your stuff to the campsite and to pack it up to go home.  So, placed between two air mattresses, or net to a single one, provides a great place where items you may need to access during the night.


This gives you a clue as to how I usually set up my tent.  But the options are limitless!  The idea I really want to get across is not necessarily how you need to set your tent up, but that tent camping does not have to mean roughing it.  With just a little planning and forethought there are plenty of ways to add comfort while spending a little time communing with nature.

See you soon!


-          PJ

Comments